Tips for Choosing that Perfect Campsite
There are several things to consider when choosing your campsite:
- Choose a level and shaded site.
- The site should have good drainage in case of wet weather. A storm can come on very quickly, and you should be prepared even if the weather looks good just in case.
- Make sure that there is a good place to dispose of garbage. If you cannot dispose of garbage away from your campsite in a closed container, make sure that there is a tree at least 60 yards away that you use to lift the garbage bags into, and always take your trash with you when you leave
- Make sure the restroom and bathing facilities are within a reasonable distance. You do not want them too close, but if they are to far away, it will be difficult to get to them in the dark.
- If you have not brought your own water/beverages, make sure the water supply is nearby.
- It is also important to consider the layout of the campsite. Is the site large enough to meet your needs? Where will you put your tent(s)? What area will you use for meal preparation and cooking & what about your picnic table? How about your campfire and wood piles? Is there an area for activities? Where do you park your car?